user X login fails

Dear friends,

I encountered following problem (using debian sarge):
- after installing k3b (apt-get), opera (dpkg from opera for sarge)
 and adobe reader in this order, I can not x login as ordinary user; I
 can still X login as a root; kde and gnome behave the same. When I
 enter user name and password in x client login dialog, screen blanks
 for second or two, X grey screen appears with X cursor and login
 dialog appears again.

- in addition if I after successful login as root and starting kde
session,I cannot close kde shell konsole; windows stays on but shell console is
dead;

I tried:
- removed file /home/xxx/.kde
- removed k3b and opera
- upgraded installed packages
- reinstalled k3b and opera

I am relatively new to linux and very new to debian distribution.  Any help
and/or pointers will be appreciated.

Regards
Tad