Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Saturday 19 June 2004 08:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>> Spamcop is what I use.  I recommend it.  I also respectfully demand
>> that for whatever list you use, you reject it WITHOUT mentioning the
>> blackhole list.  It's not the list's fault that you decided to use
>> their listings as grounds for rejection, they don't need flak
>> properly directed at you.
>
> How is the sender (in the case of a false positive) supposed to figure
> out why his mail is rejected?

Reply to the bounce (since the bounce should have a From header that
gets forwarded to postmaster, which should always accept mail from
anywhere) for human response.

> From previous discussions on this group, I think we agree that
> mailrouters should not blindly block all dynamic IPs -- how would you
> feel if someone rejected your mail because it was coming from a
> dynamic IP but didn't tell you that?

I generally offer the postmaster some suggestions for a more surgical
solution.  Though if the postmaster mailbox is getting rejected, I just
go submit them for listing in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org and don't hear
- From that site until they get it fixed.

> I just had a look at http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-postmaster.php
> and it seems OK to use blacklists for postmaster, but only if the
> rejection clearly states the reason:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't state the reason, I'm just saying
*don't* source anyone else in doing so.

Bad:
550-Your site is listed in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org.
550 Fsck off.

Good:
550-Your mail server is not universally accepting mail for postmaster.
550-Please make sure your postmaster emails <postmaster@thissite> to
550 remove this block.

I plan on going a step further at some point and set up a page to point
to that will explain more information about each message that will link
to the appropriate BL, however I am taking ownership of the fact that
some people can't send mail to people at my site because of choices I
have made based on lists other people made.  The problem is, too many
postmasters just blindly send people to the BL directly using the TXT
entry, causing the BL to take flak more properly directed at the
postmaster utilizing the list.  Why is it the list's problem Joe Random
Luser can't send email?  It's not the list's fault some postmaster is
using it to reject email.  That's a support issue for the ISPs to work
out.

- --
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>
Linux.  You can find a worse OS, but it costs more.