Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

"Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com> writes:

> Spamcop is okay... it has some "controversial" blocks such as
> Internetseer. I never asked for their email, but they got it somehow...
> well, anyway, some say they are hardcore spammers, some not. But Spamcop
> in general gets most of the US spam.

Check out http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml and plug in the MX IP
addresses in there to see why they're listed, anybody on
nntp://news.spamcop.net/spamcop is going to expect you to have already
done this and will point this out if you ask why.  (Same with
http://www.spamcop.net/reported.shtml if you post asking about getting
delisted.  Short answer: Nobody is going to delist you, however, you
will get delisted automatically based on a massively complex algorythm
that keeps you listed longer each time another spam is detected.  It
also takes a few reports by different people before the BL lists
someone, one accidental report will not get you listed.

> However, it doesn't seem to catch much Korean/China spam...

Well, for any users who don't speak Chinese or Korean, that's covered by
cn-kr.blackholes.us

> Certainly avoid ALL country block lists, and block lists that include
> large chunks of IPs. This may include SPEWS and SBL. They are okay in a
> weighting system (such as with Spamassassin) but not good if you're using
> them to block outright (especially Spews and false positives). SBL is
> better than Spews, although less aggressive.

SBL?

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>