Re: kernel panic - no /dev/console

On Friday 18 June 2004 13:36, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:43:49 -0400
>
> Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:45:36PM +1000, glenn wrote:
> > | When i boot off this image I get a kernel panic, following a message
> > | from sbin/init, that it cant find dev/console.
> > |
> > | Any ideas what I have to do?
> > |
> > | incidentally, ls -l /dev/console gives :
> > | crwx------ 1 root tty	5, 1 Jun 11:14:40 /dev/console
> >
> > Maybe this will help?
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/console
> > crw-rw----    1 root     root       5,   1 2004-06-12 10:48
> > /dev/console
>
> Do you think that's it?  I have
>
> stax:~-595> ls -l /dev/console
> crw-------    1 root     tty        5,   1 Jun 17 20:44 /dev/console
>
> and things work o.k.
>
> -c

I think the complaint about /dev/console is a red herring.  I encountered
this problem just yesterday, if memory serves me.  The problem was actually
related to the kernel modules in the initrd and the root drive.  Basically,
my root drive was a raid1 (but /boot was not), and the raid modules were
not in the initial ram disk.

I solved the problem by manually making a ram disk, then booting off of it
instead of the one that was provided with my kernel (which is 2.6.6,
incidentally).

Glenn, does your root partition require any driver modules that aren't part
of the initial ram disk?

Justin Guerin