Re: 2.6.6 ignores tulip (DC21041)

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:43:52PM +0100, chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk wrote:
[...]
| Good point, but no, I'm running testing, and it's a more basic problem
| than DHCP. Packets appear on the wire but nothing's ever received via
| the card. You'll appreciate that this following is manually cut'n'paste,
| with bits chopped out where I feel it's appropriate:
[...]

| Looking through this again as I copy-type it, it looks like the card
| is registered on IRQ 10, but the driver's not claimed it in time. So
| the kernel disables it and voila I never get any data received interrupts.
|
| Thoughts?

Does that machine have any ISA cards?  Maybe there is a conflict
somewhere, or maybe you can tell the card to use a different IRQ.
(ISTR setting the two tulip NICs I used to have to different IRQs with
kernel 2.4;  I did it solely for performance)

On an old (ISA-only, no PCI) machine I had a conflict between a newer
ISA PnP NIC that decided to assume the same IRQ as an old
jumper-configured sound/cdrom card.  The NIC could send, but not
receive.  When I removed the sound/cdrom card the NIC worked just
fine.  (I still need to go through all the jumpers on the sound card
and change its setting)

-D

--
Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved
person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.