OpenOffice won't print anymore

Hello,

I'm running sarge. After my last upgrade, Openoffice stopped printing.
I'm not able to properly track the problem down (more on that below),
all I really know boils down to "it used to work and now it doesn't".

Posting to debain-user-german, I got no help, but three more people
having similar difficulties. So at least it seems as if I'm not alone in
my misery. Like me, they hoped for the problem to be fixed in the next
upgrade, but as it drags on... what can I do?

Here's what I can find out:
To manage my printer's capabilities (like paper tray, draft mode, ...),
I use xpp. Print jobs get piped to xpp and are eventually submitted to
cups from there.
Since my last upgrade, print jobs from OpenOffice apparently won't ever
reach xpp. That's all I know, no error messsage, nothing.
I can print from other apps, and from OOo I may print to file and submit
the job manually, so at least I have a workaround.

I can set up a 'new printer' in OOo's printer administration, but
a) this one won't work despite it reports the testpage to have been
printed sucessfully;
b) the new printer will disappear when oopadmin is closed, and never
actually makes it into any printer selection of the actual OOo apps.

Talking about oopadmin, my former default printer has vanished. I now
have a default printer pointing to cups that doesn't work, can not be
removed, and was never set up by me.

cu,
Schnobs