Re: installing packages from a list.

Bob Schlärmann wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:47:22 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 21:39, Tom Allison wrote:
I have two machines that I would like to have the second one
installed with the same list of packages as the first.

I know I can find out what is installed by running

 dpkg -l | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2}' > installed_list

But how can I use that list as a starting point to install the same packages onto another machine?

Is it:

       dpkg --set-selections < installed_list

or something else?

Try this:

On the source machine: dpkg --get-selections | grep -e install -e hold | grep -v deinstall >
pkgs

On the destination machine:
dpkg --set-selections < pkgs

After you've done this make sure to run 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' so the
packages actually get installed.

Thank you.
This did the trick!