OT: Dual Monitor Video Card Recommendations...

I am replacing my Debian workstation with a new machine.  On my old
workstation I have been using a Matrox G400 video card that I have been
fairly happy with.  One strange problem however.  When booting into GDM and
then login into Gnome, the right hand monitor displays the desktop with wavy
lines, like it is out of sync.  I simply log out of Gnome and re-log into
Gnome and the problem has gone away.  This is a fairly little problem as I
rarely log out or reboot, so I can deal with the card in its current state.
But I was thinking, It's in the budget to get a new video card, why not!

So I ask you; what video card would you recommend for my new desktop?  I
would like to go with a manufacturer that is friendly to OS developers.  I
know that Matrox is and I would not hesitate to get another of their cards
in a second!  But what could I get with another manufacturer?  Better 3D
support perhaps?  Higher resolution/refresh rates?  This is my work
computer, so rarely do I get to play a game, so 3D support is NOT necessary,
but it would be a cool plus.  Mainly I want to run both screens at 1280x1024
and a high refresh rate so as to save my eyes.  This is used as a
development workstation so basically I just use it to run NetBeans on two
screens, browse the web, watch a mpeg or two, xvncviewer, etc...  Oh, and
under $500 please.

Thoughts?  Thanks for your time.

Michael