Re: OT? kernel configuration guessing

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 04:32, Joris Huizer wrote:
> I'm sorry, I obviously wasn't as clear here as I thought I was;
> I always use the great oldconfig trick - I often either put in new
> options as modules or disable (unless recommended from the help to use them)
> But my point was, if the original .config file I base it on
> configuration has loads of stuff I'll never need, then that might be a
> waste. (it started as a 2.4.18-bf2.4 and is now heavily adapted for the
> many changes between 2.4 and 2.6)
>
> I know I can look at dmesg, /var/log/boot, /var/log/syslog - just don't
> know wether there are tools I might have missed - other tools to learn
> more of details I've probably missed about this machine;

So, what you are saying is: You want a Kernel with all modules compiled
in to make your machine work without inserting any external modules.

BUT, still have modules available for any device you might put in later.
Or not?

Personally, it comes down to experience. Yes, that is the only way I can
figure it. I am not sure you can get "everything" needed without
understanding the whole of what the kernel is doing with your machine.

Say for instance you have a Hard drive controller the is a PROMISE
controller. Do you put in the old or new driver or even the fasttrack.

Anyway, this is all moot, unless you have a real need to compile a
kernel as Stock Debian ones do not worK period... Then a kernel compiled
for your Architecture (386, 386-smp, 686, 686-smp, k7, k7-smp, hppa
hppa-smp, etc...) with widespread module support should do the trick
anyway.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup