Re: OT? kernel configuration guessing

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2004-06-16, Joris Huizer penned:

Hello,

I find myself often just reusing my configuration endlessly, which is
probably not the smarted configuration anymore; In the transition from
2.4.x to 2.6 some configurations went away but still.. is there a some
kind of script or something to make the kernel "guess" the minimal &
best kernel configuration for the running machine?

This is far from urgent ofcourse, but.. well it would be interesting
to hear what's available for this, andwhat could be learned from tools
to discover hardware details :-)

Have you ever copied your old .config file over and used "make
oldconfig"?

(I don't know if this works 2.4->2.6, though)

I'm sorry, I obviously wasn't as clear here as I thought I was;
I always use the great oldconfig trick - I often either put in new options as modules or disable (unless recommended from the help to use them) But my point was, if the original .config file I base it on configuration has loads of stuff I'll never need, then that might be a waste. (it started as a 2.4.18-bf2.4 and is now heavily adapted for the many changes between 2.4 and 2.6)

I know I can look at dmesg, /var/log/boot, /var/log/syslog - just don't know wether there are tools I might have missed - other tools to learn more of details I've probably missed about this machine;

Thanks,

Joris