nvidia driver in 2.4.26-1-686

I am using Sarge, kenel 2.4.26-1-686 and I am trying to install the nvidia driver for my graphics card: 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

The last time I installed the driver was a few months ago (before I did the present clean install) and at that time I had compile the kernel again along with the nvidia modules.

Recenlty, I have noticed some packages (nvidia-*) in the avialable packages. I am wondering, do I still have to compile the kernel and its modules again to include the nvidia driver, or is there now an easier way?

 Currently, I have:
nvidia-kernel-2.4.26-1-686 and
nvidia-kernel-common
for 1.0.5336-1 version of NV driver installed. After installing these, I tried to use the "nvidia" driver by changing the XFree86-config-4 file (as described in the nvidia homepage), but that didn't work (I can give the error message if necessary).

thanks,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)