Re: df and strange filesystem synonimity

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 02:27 pm, Bluejack wrote:

> Thank you. Your guess about my fstab file was, of course, correct,
> and your solution exactly what I was looking for. All healed now,
> and another little piece of information added to my growing
> body of linux minutia!

They got to you before I did, but if it makes you feel any better, this is
easy to do.  I ran into almost exactly the same problem a bit back (mine
was /var/tmp instead of /tmp), and knew just what dumb dumb you had done.

> Question: I see that some people recommend creating a /boot filesystem
> as the first filesystem on the drive. Would this then subsume the /
> filesystem in the same way until one could get in and manually
> correct the ordering in fstab? It seems like that would interfere
> with the installation procedure.

No.  I'm not quite exactly sure how the whole pivot root thing works during
boot, but the init scripts take care of this through some magic, and you
don't need to worry about it.

For example, this fstab fragment works perfectly:

/dev/hda7       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0 1
/dev/hda1       /boot           ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0 1

Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/