alsa drivers choking kdeinit

Hello list,

for over a month now I've been troubled by a KDE that would increasingly slow
down as the uptime of my laptop went up.
After a wile, kdeinit would come up and take lots of system cpu. As I kept my
laptop running, the cpu spikes caused by kdeinit would become higher, longer
sustained and at shorter intervals making my laptop unusable after a few
hours (about 3).

I always thought it had to do with some kernel stuff since restarting KDE (or
X for that matter) would'nt fix it, only a reboot would.

Today I finally find out that it was ALSA that was causing all the trouble. I
stopped alsa, removed the modules from my kernel, and everything runs smooth.

Did anyone else notice this? Did I just have bad luck? When not starting KDE
(just xinit) the problem never occured, so it has to be some combination of
KDE and ALSA.

I'm using a custom kernel (2.4.21-rc2-ac2) with alsa (1.0.3) compiled as
module.

Any way I can fix this, should I move to 2.6?

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.