xcdroast in kernel 2.6 doesn't work with ATAPI or SCSI

It's supposed to be unnecessary to use scsi-emulation in 2.6 kernels but
if I try to use ATAPI, xcdroast simply hangs with a message saying it
won't work properly (this is latest version from Sid).

I therefore gave up and compiled a kernel with SCSI emulation, which
worked for me in kernel 2.4, but in 2.6 it fails to detect any drives at
all, even though syslog shows that scsi emulation has worked.

Is there any way round this or do I have to revert to a 2.4 kernel
whenever I want to burn a CD? Does cdrecord work in 2.6 (I've never got
into cdrecord directly yet).

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic