Re: bash profile how?

On Monday 14 June 2004 23:01, Michael B Allen wrote:
> For some reason bash isn't sourcing /etc/profile. In fact after
> adding . /etc/profile to .bash_profile I don't think .bash_profile
> is being sourced b/c it had no effect.
>
> I just wiped RH 7.3 and I don't know the shell best-practices for
> Debian. Please advise. I'm running testing w/ 2.4.26.

Does 'grep yourloginname /etc/passwd show a line something like:
yourloginname:x:1000:1000:yourgroupname:/home/yourloginname:/bin/bash

If the shell is missing after the last colon, add it.  It probably is
not this, but I wasted many hours looking elsewhere when I had that
problem, and this was the reason.

Else, google or search the archive for the last two months - there
were a couple of threads on this.

--
richard