Re: bash profile how?

Once upon a time Michael B Allen said...
> For some reason bash isn't sourcing /etc/profile. In fact after adding .
> /etc/profile to .bash_profile I don't think .bash_profile is being sourced
> b/c it had no effect.

The man page for bash explains what files are read on startup, in the
section INVOCATION.

It talks about login and non-login shells, but doesn't really explain
when you get a login shell.

A shell will be a login shell when you log in on the text console
(through the login(1) program). If you just open a new shell window from
your graphical desktop environment, you will get a non-login shell.

Personally, my .bash_profile has one line:
source ~/.bashrc

I find the different files that bash reads on different occasions quite
annoying.