gpm and 2.6 kernels

I have seen this on at least 3 different machines now:  While gpm
starts up correctly using the 2.4 kernel when a machine boots up, it
does not with the 2.6 kernels (at least 2.6.3, 2.6.5 and 2.6.6).

The startup messages shows that gpm has started, but is not the case.
The problem is that when you use something like xdm/kdm/gdm/wdm your
X11 does not work properly if you have configured the mouse to use
/dev/gpmdata.

I do not understand why it is not working properly because when I do
an "/etc/init.d/gpm start" after logging in, gpm is working normally.

To me it is not a serious problem but it is when you set up a machine
for a user that does not know Linux well enough to start gpm manually.

Is this a bug or is there a 2.6.x configuration I have missed
somewhere?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret-
      it leads only to evil."        Psalms 37:8