openwebmail + postgresql configuration

I'm running my authentication through a pgsql database with passwords that are stored as md5 hashes of the password.
This authentication model is working for the dovecot imap server.

However, under openwebmail I am accessing the database through 'localhost' instead of sockets and I keep getting a postgres pg_hba.conf configuration error. The affecting line is:

host    all   all 127.0.0.1          md5

2004-06-14 21:58:22 [24670] LOG: connection received: host=127.0.0.1 port=33487 2004-06-14 21:58:22 [24670] LOG: invalid entry in pg_hba.conf file at line 89, token "md5"

dovecot accesses the database for authenction through a line that says:
local    all         all             md5
(successfully).

Right now I have to figure this out, but my openwebmail part of the question is, can I set the host to a local socket?

After that, the next question is going to be:
If I take the user information (home, uid, gid) from /etc/passwd and the authentication information (user, password) from postgresql, how do I do this? I'm not sure that it will work, but I have set the "use_homedirspools yes", but I'm not certain that this will work.

I do not as yet have any of the home/uid/gid information in the postgres database.