Re: Commercial-grade application software

jack kinnon wrote:

Hi folks,
I have now a working Linux system with an acceptable GUI and a broadband link for communication, all with freely available software. But without application software, they don't mean much. I'm looking for good application software in the areas of hardware and software design. In hardware design, I'm looking for E-CAD for analog and digital circuit design and simulation. Does SPICE run on Linux?

I like this one the best so far. I don't know about spice or e-cad, but Debian has programmes for these functions.

In software design, I'm looking for development environment for C/C++-based programs.

No need to look for sites, these applications are available on your machine all ready. Just as user, type "aptitude" at the prompt, and when the ncurses based gui comes up, take a look through the sections marked "development" and "electronics."
Debian is almost entirely built on C/C++.
Anything you want to download, make a note of, and then download as root.

Recommendations and links to suitable sites would be appreciated.

Regards,

David.