Question about X Window Crashing

Dear Friends,

I am a new user of Debian and just installed it in an old Dell
machine, Dell Optiplex with PIII 500. The installation went
through well, but I met problems of X Window setting.

The X Window can start correctly. However, after letting it
idle for a while, like one day, the system crashes and reports
error saying:

"I cannot find the X Server (your graphical interface). It is
likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view
the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

I chose "Yes" and it gives me some information. It seems that
everything is set to be default or generic. And the fatal error
is "No screens found."

Then it asked me whether I want to run X configuration. I did
and found that I can do nothing except for moving the small
arrow with keyboard. I even can't find way to exit it. And I
had to reset the computer to restart.

I do feel strange. The X Server starts well, but why does it
crash after long time idling? I was wondering whether it is
the data switch that caused this. I connected two computers
with a switch. The other one is M$ Win2000. But this can't
explain why it won't crash after a short term idling.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Best Wishes,
Haoyu