Re: XMX for Debian?

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 06:00, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 14:38 +0300, Kalle Tuulos wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am trying to make a similar system for X like the "screen" does for
> > console, i.e. I would be able to use the same X screen both from work
> > and home. It seems that XMX would be solution for this.
>
> VNC is another, already packaged solution. There is a lot of info on the
> web on setting up/using it. The rfb package is a good tool to combine
> with vnc, install it and run x0rfbserver from within your X session,
> then connect using the vnc client to access it.

Or maybe establish an ssh-tunnel(with compression) and do an XDMCP
request to get a login. It has worked for others here on this list. I
know it works.

Just understand, you should always want a "lite" environment over slower
than 10Mbit connections. Which means XFce, FVMW, Blackbox, WindowMaker
and the like. GNOME and KDE are torture with <10MBit connections.

Good luck
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup