Re: New newbieDoc articles

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 19:08, Chris Lale wrote:
> Today I have committed some new and changed files to CVS. Will someone
> OK them and add links to the newbieDoc home page, or can I do that
> myself?

Can anyone link these articles to the newbieDoc homepage, or tell me how
to do it?

Peripherals
===========

Setting up a printer on a Debian GNU/Linux PC using CUPS
This document describes how to install and configure a printer using
CUPS (the Common UNIX Printing System). The setup described in this
document is known to work with Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody) and CUPS
version 1.1.14-3.
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/printer-cups.en/t1.html.en
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/peripherals/printer-cups.html.en

Meta documents
==============

Quick guide to writing newbieDoc articles using lyx
lyx is a WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) document processor. If
you can use a word processor you can use lyx. lyx is normally used to
create LaTeX documents, but you can export documents to DocBook SGML
format or DocBook XML format. This document describes the use of lyx to
produce newbieDoc DocBook SGML. The exported SGML can be rendered into
HTML using sgmltools-lite in the usual way. The instructions in this
document are known to work lyx version 1.3.3 running in Debian 3.0
(Woody).
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/newbiedoc-lyx-quick-guide.en/t1.html.en
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/metadoc/newbiedoc-lyx-quick-guide.html.en

Reference for writing newbieDoc articles using
This is a collection of information for anyone using lyx to write
DocBook articles for the newbieDoc project
(http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net). The instructions in this document
are known to work lyx version 1.3.3 running in Debian 3.0 (Woody).

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/newbiedoc-lyx-reference.en/t1.html
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/metadoc/newbiedoc-lyx-reference.html.en

lyx configuration files for newbieDoc articles
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tarballs/newbiedoc-lyx-files_0.02.tar.gz

Networking
==========

Accessing CPAN with Debian GNU/Linux
------------------------------------
If you do any programming in Perl, or if you use Perl programs like
SpamAssassin, you will want to download the latest Perl modules from
CPAN. This article explains how to configure Debian GNU/Linux to
download modules from CPAN. I have tested the instructions in this
document and checked that they work with Debian 3.0 (Woody).

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/cpan.en/t1.html.en
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/cpan.html.en

Spam (junk email) filtering in Debian GNU/Linux
This document describes how to deal with spam on a typical home computer
with a dialup (ppp) Internet connection. It focuses on using evolution
as an email client. evolution is a graphical groupware suite which
includes good email client with filtering abilities. The setup described
in this document is known to work with Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody)
versions of evolution (1.0.5-1), mail (8.1.2), exim (3.35-1), fetchmail
(5.9.11-6), procmail (3.22-5) and spamassassin (2.20-1woody).

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/spam.en/t1.html.en
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/spam.html.en

System Management Ideas
=======================

Installing from tarballs using checkinstall
One day, you will find a piece of software that you really must have.
You cannot find a Debian package (.deb file) and the software is only
available as a tarball (.tar.gz or .tgz). Installing from a tarball is
not difficult, but it takes longer than installing a Debian package. It
may also overwrite existing files, and add new ones, without your
knowing about it. checkinstall is a program that supervises the
compiling and installation of tarball software. It can keep backups of
your existing files, and it produces a .deb file that can be used to
remove and reinstall the software using standard Debian tools such as
dpkg. This article has been tested successfully with checkinstall 1.5.3
in Debian 3.0 (Woody).

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/checkinstall.html.en

Thanks,

Chris.
--
Chris Lale
<chrislale AT untrammelled DOT co DOT uk>