Re: OT: How easy is it to break GnuPG if you have the Private Key?

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:08:28AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> other private key. Then as soon as you've read it on your PocketPC,
> delete it and store a copy at home. Any time you encrypt something

The goal is to keep some semi-sensitive data (account #s with the power
company, cable company, and such, and not-super-important online
username/pin combos for various online services).  Not my bank pin or
credit card #s, but semi-dangerous to an identity thief.

> itself, nothing will ever give you FULL protection.
>
> The other option, is to use just about ANY type of removable
> storage. Can you use any sort of memory cards/sticks with the device?

The problem is only supports SD memory, so I can't use a USB keychain.
I could buy a spare 32MB SD card for $15, but they aren't rugged like
USB keychains, you have to keep them in Jewel Boxes.  I wonder if it
would survive in my wallet.

They make Bluetooth USB keychains I think.  I could keep the private key
encrypted by a second key which is stored on the PocketPC, and I guess
securely delete the Private Key when I'm done with it.  Odds are I won't
lose both the same person....

I'd be comfortable with some kind of steganography for this only
semi-dangerous data.  Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks for a lengthy reply.