Re: Problems upgrading to Gnome2.6

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 00:12, Thomas Beresford wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've tried to upgrade to gnome 2.6 but I'm getting this error message when I try to run gnome-session:
>
> gnome-session: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_class_add_private
>
> I'm running a woody system with some testing and unstable packages. To upgrade to gnome 2.6 I used apt-get -t unstable gnome-core libgtk2.0-0... It downloaded and installed everything ok, but I'm getting that error message. Could anybody help me please?

The version of GTK+ in unstable is 2.4, I suspect that 2.4 contains
quite a bit not in 2.0 which Gnome 2.6 needs.

I don't know if GTK 2.4 is backwards compatible, if it isn't then it
will cause problems, otherwise you need to get the libgtk2.4 from
unstable.

Really, to use new software on woody, its probably best to use the
backports.

HTH
Tristan