Re: saving iptables rules?

Darryl Luff wrote:

Ralph Crongeyer wrote:

How does one save iptables rules in Debian "Unstable/SID"? I've tried iptables-save and get some output with no errors, but when I reboot all my rules are gone? Is there a "Debian way" of doing this? Rather than write my own startup script I want to find out if there's a standard way of doing this. I haven't been successful looking on GOOGLE.

If you dont have the init scripts (which are apparently deprecated) I think the rules aren't automatically restored on reboot. In Testing at least there are some notes in /usr/share/doc/iptables/README.Debian.gz that show how to do it using ifupdown, which doesn't quite seem right to me unless you have seperate per-interface rules, but on a single interface box I suppose it doesnt matter.
.

I guess it doesn't matter for a single interface but it hardly seems like the best solution either. At least to me. It seems there used to be a script in /etc/init.d/ called iptables to start and stop and save rules. It's all over google. But that script doesn't exist on any of my four SID boxes, unless it is provided by another package?

There must be a better way to handel this than ifupdown? Does anyone know of plans to bring the script back? Or other plans for another solution?

Thanks.

Ralph