Re: Newbie firewall for Sarge

On Friday 11 June 2004 08:34 pm, John Fleming wrote:
> > On Friday 11 June 2004 07:30 pm, John Fleming wrote:
> > > Is there anything analagous to pmfirewall in Sarge (2.6 kernel)?  I
> > > downloaded pmfirewall because I was familiar with it, but it's not
> > > compatible with the 2.6 kernel.  I need something newbie-easy that I
> > > can configure remotely.  Thanks - John
> >
> > Hi,
> > I was pointed to 'firestarter' and it does seem to work well, using sarge
>
> with
>
> > 2.6.6 kernel.
>
> Duh - I almost forgot about Firestarter, and that's what I actually started
> with today!  I'm familiar with it from using it with Fedora.  I just
> installed Sarge, and I'm new to Debian and pretty new to Linux.  I have
> some issues with X and my display, and I don't have Gnome working yet.  I
> do have KDE working (at some stupidly low resolution), but I couldn't find
> an entry for Firestarter anywhere in the KDE menus (after appropriately
> installing Firestarter).  When I did the same things in Knoppix/Sid, I did
> find the Firestarter entry in the KDE menus.
>
> Anyway, I think I will keep working on getting Firestarter going.  What if
> I'm using KDE and open a terminal -window- and then start firestarter -
> Will that make the GUI appear??  I know it doesn't work from the console -
> just says it can't find any screens.
>
> I don't read anything about it having a text mode.  Thanks!  - John

Hi John, first- please don't cc me, I get the list, thanks.
I don't know if the gui for firestarter would work in text mode. If you have
kde running, then the firestarter gui will work, I guess. Have you tried
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
to sort out your display?
(You'll need to know ahead of time some information about your hardware.)