Re: ccing

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:53:19 -0700
"David Haughton" <david@agentx.org> wrote:

>> The usual reply to this is submit a bug report.  If it came
>> from a list, the reply should go to the list.  If you want to
>> reply to the author, that should take manual intervention.
>> In the meantime, switch to something that does it right, mutt for one.
>
> Most email clients will act this way (i.e. Thunderbird, Pine, Outlook*)
> because the person that sent the email to the list is in the "From"
> field and I don't see the "Reply-To" field being set by the listserv.

Most email clients I've encounterred (mutt, sylpheed, balsa, evolution,
etc.) don't act this way.  Outlook is MS crap and is broken in lots of
other ways too.  Pine is old; is it still even being developed?
Thunderbird, OTOH, I thought *did* handle this correctly, and is broken
if it doesn't (and they'd probably like to know about it).

> sHow does mutt know to reply to the email address in the "To"
> field and not the "From" field without user intervention?

Typically, clients that handle replies to mailing list messages
correctly *aren't* doing what you describe.  Instead, they're using
the presence of a common mailing-list-specific header, such as
"List-Id" or "List-Post", as the place to send the reply.  They
detect the presence of that, allow it to trump what's in the
"From" header, and set the "To" on the reply accordingly.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)