Re: Debian testing vs unstable for home workstation?

On 06/11/04 10:30, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 11 Jun 2004, Clive Menzies wrote:

On (11/06/04 07:29), Adam Funk wrote:

I've been using Debian testing on my home workstation for a while now
and am generally happy with it, but I understand there are some
disadvantages in comparison with unstable, such as recency of security
updates.  I suppose the name "unstable" puts me off, since I work from
home a lot and need a functional computer all the time.  What would be
the positive and negative effects of switching to unstable?

Hi Adam

There was an extensive thread on this subject a while ago which pretty
much covered all the arguments sid v sarge with input from some of the
most knowledgeable people on the list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg10262.htm

Regards

Clive

Following that discussion I took the plunge and started following
unstable instead of testing. This was a couple of months ago now, I
think; nothing terrible has happened (yet!).

Anthony

I'm a non-technical user, about 6 months on Linux, and very happy with debian unstable. It's been very stable, so far.

If you're running i386 architecture packages, remember much of the development happens here first. So you're that much more "stable," in effect. Delays that may keep a package from Testing may be for problems on a different platform.

Regards.