unicode problems with pasting

With a new machine, I finally hopped on the UTF-8 bandwaggon. My
locale is now en_GB.UTF-8 all the way, and I am using urxvt, which
all works nicely.

I have never received replies to

which is okay, since the problem seems to have vanished somehow. But
there remain subtle problems here and there...

For instance, I have the following line in my settings, to allow me
to abbreviate the common German letter ending:

  iab mfg Mit freundlichen Grüßen

inserting works fine after I converted the settings file to UTF-8
(before it wasn't working), but when I X-copy that line to
elsewhere, I get weird behaviour.

If I copy it from vim to the console, this is the result:

  iab mfg Mit freundlichen GrüÃ^ßen

catting the file works fine though.

What subtleties am I missing?

ii  vim            6.2-532+4      Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
ii  rxvt-unicode   3.0-1          RXVT-like terminal emulator with

Thanks,

`. `'`