Re: OT wordprocessing anyone?

Matthias Czapla <dermatsch@gmx.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:03:00AM -0400, richard lyons wrote:
> > Do folk here have recommendations about how to do wordprocessing?  I
> > am looking for solutions that allow well formatted technical
> > documents, with the possibility of using well-designed templates in a
> > modern typographic style.  Interoperability and/or ease of import and
> > export is important, as is handling of tables and inclusion of
> > spreadsheets and graphics.
> > [...]

> I think if you're not willing to learn LaTeX or troff commands you
> don't have many options besides OpenOffice.org. I personally like
> groff much more than LaTeX because I had trouble finding good docs
> when I wanted to so something more than the available LaTeX classes
> and packages let you do. The groff docs are excellent.

Latex with the memoir class (e.g.
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/memoir/>) is
flexible and aesthetically pleasing. The manual even includes an
interesting discussion of the aesthetics of typography.

And rather than Lyx, emacs+auctex as already proposed.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-390476; Room F2-025 x 3147