Re: Installing Java

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 08:25, Robert Tilley wrote:
> I want to run Azureus, which requires the JRE from SUN to be installed.  I
> install the j2re1.4.2 and hope that Azureus runs.
>
> The message returns that something is wrong with my java installation.
>
> root@debian-rtg:/home/tilleyrw/downloads/azureus# ./azureus
> Starting Azureus...
> Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
> OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE [java = Kaffe]
> You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://java.sun.com
> ls: /usr/java: No such file or directory
> OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/java/  hierarchy
> You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://java.sun.com
> root@debian-rtg:/home/tilleyrw/downloads/azureus#
>
> I have installed SUN's j2re package:
>
> root@debian-rtg:/home/tilleyrw/downloads# ./j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin
> <SNIP>
>   inflating: j2re1.4.2_04/javaws/resources/messages_zh_CN.properties
>  extracting: j2re1.4.2_04/javaws/sunlogo64x30.gif
> Creating j2re1.4.2_04/lib/rt.jar
> Creating j2re1.4.2_04/lib/jsse.jar
> Creating j2re1.4.2_04/lib/charsets.jar
> Creating j2re1.4.2_04/lib/ext/localedata.jar
> Creating j2re1.4.2_04/lib/plugin.jar
> Creating j2re1.4.2_04/javaws/javaws.jar
> Done.
> root@debian-rtg:/home/tilleyrw/downloads#

It seems clear that azureus is trying to run using kaffe binary.
You need java binary. So you need a new path when running azureus.
ie something like

PATH=/home/tilleyrw/downloads/j2re1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH

should do the trick. You can put your path in your .bashrc,
but that will stop kaffe from being default.

So you can run azureus as follows:

PATH=/home/tilleyrw/downloads/j2re1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH ./azureus

or alternatively you can first export the new PATH to your
environment, and then run your app.:

export PATH=/home/tilleyrw/downloads/j2re1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH
./azureus

alternatively you can create a shell script and put either
of the above combinations in that (for a script, I prefer
the latter), Eg the following command sequence is probably
pretty much what you want (I've put spaces between
each command, in case of wrapping, so you can see what
is meant to be on single line...):

cd ~

mkdir bin

cd bin

echo '#!/bin/bash' > azureus

echo 'export PATH=/home/tilleyrw/downloads/j2re1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH' >> azureus

echo '/home/tilleyrw/downloads/azureus/azureus' >> azureus

chmod a+rx azureus

export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

cd ~

echo 'PATH=~/bin:$PATH' >> .bashrc

This will set up your new PATH environment variable
permanently in your .bashrc so that next time you
log in it should all just work. It also exports to
current shell, so it should work in your current shell.

good luck
zenaan