Re: Debain+Fedora+Mandrake+Suse

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:58:58AM +0000, Simon L wrote:
> Sylvain Vedrenne wrote:
>
> >Sylvain Vedrenne wrote:

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Yes you can have Debian and other distributions on the same computer.
> >>
> >>You need to have several partitions on 1, 2 or more disks...
> >>And you can share a single swap partition with all the distributions
> >>you'll be using on your machine.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Sylvain.
> >

> >Hello list,
> >
> >I'm assuming this is possible using LILO as boot loader.
> >Am I correct?
> >
> >Sylvain.
> >

> Yes Lilo or grub as you wish

When I had Mandrake and Debian on one machine, the Mandrake treated my
hard disk as /dev/hda5, whereas Debian treated it as /dev/hda1.  There was
some line in the lilo conf to rename the drive.  I have no idea how to
get a lilo that renames it only for one OS, or why on earth Mandrake wanted
to renumber the drives.

This may pose a difficulty for those (like me) that have the same problem.

But becasue Mandrake had so many security/firewall barriers that I was
unable to use it, I made a boot diskette for Mandrake in case of emergency,
and let Lilo just boot Debian.

-- hendrik