lvm and resizing /usr

Hi,

on a Debian Woody, i installed lvm10. After a while my /usr ext3 parition
was slowly filling up so i wanted to do:
    lvextend -L+1G /dev/main/lv_usr
    resize2fs /dev/main/lv_usr

The first command succeeded, the second didn't because the partition
was mounted. I couldn't unmount the partition however even in single user
mode and killing all that showed up from fuser -vm /usr

I had to reboot from a rescue cd and then do the resize2fs operation.
(first had to check the drive with e2fsck according to resize2fs)
The partition seems fine so no harm done i guess.

As for my question:
Is this the only way (reboot via a rescue cd) that i could have resized it?
What if you manage a server remotely, i suppose this is not doable remotely?

Apparently there seems to be a patch that allows online resizing but it
doesn't seem very stable so i won't use it.

Regards,
Benedict