Re: autogenerate Re: Website creating software

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:15:58AM -0700 or thereabouts, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, S.D.A. wrote:
>
> > I'm not knocking those using Vi, Vi(m) or Emacs, they're probably experts at
> > writing raw HTML. However, I have my doubts, that way, works in an efficient
> > standardized workflow, within a workgroup, where others are using Visual IDE's
> > -- In fact I know it wouldn't, as we've tried it.
>
> one has to enter the raw data some place ...
> 	- vi is good for etnering data into the db
>
> use # html.generate.pl   to create all the web pages on the fly
> 	- and it'd create online forms too
> 	- and making global changes would be trivial
> 	( like your company and address and ph# changes )
>
> 	- use your fav programs ( perl, php, C ) to create web pages
> 	fast and efficiently
>
> html pages has to be created by automated programs ... if one wants to
> scale  and if one wants to be able to do interactive pages

Problem is, that many coders aren't very good designers, and what you're
recommending, would create boilerplate looking webpages. Won't fly if you're
developing for many clients. People tend to want original looking designs. Of
course for creating forms, there's nothing like the pear class for doing so, and
it's still nice, when doing  CSS-P, for one to see what the layout looks like. A
Visual editor is better suited when developing websites for a living, IMHO.

Freelancers, can get away with using what they want. Working for a firm, most
people, are going to be using a Visual Editor, and working in groups.  So,
Dreamweaver is the standard in that environment, and it is a pretty decent IDE.

It's along the same line that professionals tend to use layout applications like
Adobe InDesign or Quark Express, over TeX or LaTeX. The two aforementioned are
industry standards, and tend to allow one to be more creative then using TeX to
layout a catalogue or brochure (if you want your own design, rather than the one
that script provides). Faster to...

Still there are  certain procedures, that one would like TeX in one's tool chest
for.

--
Steve
  Wednesday Jun 09 2004 06:36:01 PM EDT