Re: trouble installing kde

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 15:59, J. Preiss hurled the following on the wire:
> > > don't want Gnome...  Now I see that it would have been easier to do it
> > > all with aptitude or tasksel and then simply remove Gnome if I indeed
> > > did not want it...
> >
> > Got it. You are right, it will do that.:)
> > You taught me something, thanks.
>
> I dont know what you both are doing all over the day, but I assume you have
> enough time and a flat rate... At home, I'd like to preselect only things
> that I really want, anything else would be too expensive, you know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you select 'graphical environment' (or
what's it called) during setup (in tasksel) Debian installs both Gnome and
KDE.
I can see we don't ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Debian doesn't want to favor anyone, so I
have no problems with this, but it's probably a reason that many people end
up with both. That is indeed a little bit bloat, unless you really want to
give both a try.
Maybe the people working on the new installer (that, I might add is a fabulous
piece of work) might consider differentiating between KDE and Gnome.

I have used the latest version (test candidate 1), but I skipped tasksel, so
maybe this isn't relevant, but if it is, the installer typically fetches all
packages from the net, so 2 DE's is going to add the the download/install
time considerably.

just a thought.

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.