Re: CUPS + FireFox: printing with a2ps

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> writes:

> However, my experience is that it interfaces well with CUPS
> (automatically finds all CUPS printers, if you only want a few to be
> visible you are in for a "configuration treat") and print quality is
> good.

It may automatically find all CUPS printers, but it doesn't pull the
resolution, paper sizes (including default) or other options CUPS
printers supports.  I suspect it isn't quite querying CUPS at all but
just looking at the autogenerated printcap, but I never checked.  So
it really has the same functionality that it could (and probably does
have) with original BSD lpd.

As far as quality, XPrint assumed my printer was 600 DPI (or was it
300DPI?), which it wasn't.  And thus was degrading quality of images
and text.  Most noticably images, since it also seemed to convert them
to b/w itself rather than just let the printer handle it, which does a
much, much better job.

Sure, if I liked pain, I could go and edit fifteen million tiny files
to tell XPrint all about my printer because it's too stupid to ask
CUPS, which let me drop in a PPD file from HP detailing everything.
But I'd like to have some semblance of a life.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
PUNNY BOOK = Big Fart!: Hugh Jass.