Re: CUPS + FireFox: printing with a2ps

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> writes:

> I can't say I am very happy with the printing support in Firefox. It
> does find CUPS and XPrint printers (or maybe it's XPrint that finds the
> CUPS printers), but what I'd really like is to print two pages on each
> side (ala 'a2ps -2'). Anyone who knows how I can achieve that?

Cups can do that by itself, if you pass -o number-up=2 to lp.  I'm not
sure how to do that within firefox, though, since I don't use firefox
on Linux.  Installing a tool like gpr might be helpful to make
selecting print options sane for all programs.

A bit of google looks like you can change the command used to print in
Print->Properties.  So you might look there.

>  3. Configure XPrint. (This piece of software is a mystery to me. Looked
>     for info but found very little in the way of configuration
>     information.)

Using XPrint is the problem, not the solution.  It makes configuration
of simple cases vastly more complex than they need to be, completely
refuses to interoperate intelligently with anything smarter than BSD
lpd forcing you to configure things in multiple places, and in the
default configuration actually reduces print quality.  With enough
work you can make XPrint work, but with enough you can also dig holes
with an ethernet card.  Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
There is water on Mars, we've seen canals --Dan Quayle