Re: $PATH and /etc/profile

Carl Fink wrote:

Note:  I'm far from an expert.

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:12:05PM +0000, Simon L wrote:

When I log in text mode, the entire PATH is there as I want, I can "startx" and when I open a terminal, the PATH is perfect. Now, if I start the computer with KDM and that I run a terminal, the PATH is only: "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games"

Presumably KDM is being started by one of the /etc/init.d scripts,
without first running Bash.  Thus the profile file isn't being read
(because why should anything but a login shell read it?).

I wonder if you could find the line in your startup script that says
"kdm" and just change it to read "/bin/bash kdm".  I HAVE NOT TRIED
THIS and make no claim that it will work, but it would explain why
startx works and kdm does not.
There are no "kdm" line in this file :( , but I found a "PATH=" line so I tried it and it doesn't work :( .

I also searched for "UserPath" in the kdmrc file, but it is not in the file.