Re: PCI-modem setup problems

On (08/06/04 15:54), Rich Johnson wrote:

> Hi folks--
> I'm trying to add a modem to a Dell Precision 410 running  debian
> testing on top of Linux 2.2.6
>
> One think I can't figure out is its device--/dev/ttyS??.

< other questions snipped>

I just finished setting up one of these (USR 5610) under a hd install of
Knoppix (= approx. Debian testing) the 2.4.26 kernel recognized the
 device at ttyS4 (which I already had symlinked with /dev/modem from
 a previous install) but the 2.6
kernel I wanted to use didn't find it there.
Tried all the lspci & setserial stuff. Ended up doing:

"dmesg | grep 'at'" which returns a bunch of lines where kernel recognizes
devices (device such and such AT such and such a  location)
Presuming it's finding it...
then if the ttS? exists... away you go. If not then do:
cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ttyS?
(with ttyS? being whatever showed up in the dmesg | grep 'at' above)

Should work if the kernel is recognizing it at all, which it seems to be
from your post.

HTH. If not, apologies

John Redmond
P.O. Box 619