Re: Website creating software

On Monday 07 June 2004 17:36, Nick Smith hurled the following on the wire:
> Joost De Cock said:
> > On Monday 07 June 2004 15:31, jack kinnon hurled the following on the
> >
> > wire:
> >> Hi
> >>  Thanks for the input. What I am referring to is
> >> something like the MS FrontPage, not just an ordinary
> >> editor.
[...]
> forget frontpage, what about a dreamweaver alternative? i do respect the
> hand coding people out there, i too started coding with VI, but there is
> no way im going to design complex image maps or anything else with lengthy
> code by hand any more, too much chance for error and it takes way too long
> to do it.  i wish wine would pick up the pace and get compatible with MX
> 2004 and for that matter photoshop CS. but i would be happy with just a
> dreamweaver alternative.  which in my search i can find nothing that comes
> close to the power of dreamweaver.

Well, thanks for the respect :) however, I do agree with the 'forget
frontpage' part, but I don't agree with going the dreamweaver road. I used
dreamweaver a lot a few years ago, I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I sure
got past the steep part of the learning curve. It is indeed a very powerfull
editor, but I think you'll agree (judging by your examples) that it's
something you want to use when your building a nice looking flashy graphical
website.
I myself code webapplications in PHP, dynamic pages, database access,
scripts,... you name it. When doing this sort of work, VI beats dreamweaver
hands down. First of all, who needs all the bloat, but the better syntax
highlighting, supreme indentation (a nightmare in Dreamweaver last time I
checked), speed, and all the nifty shortcutes that make VI what it is just
make it a nobrainer to go for VI.
Furthermore, if I need a quick change, SSH to the webserver, load VI and
tadaa.

I guess it boils down to the 'right tool for the job' mantra. I do agree that
only a graphical artist with a serious CLI twist would use VI for his work on
websites.

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.