gnome shell explosion

  I think I made some basic mistake configuring my debian 3.0 system.
The problem seems to be with the way the system calls the gnome interface
for default logging in.

   When I start the machine, I get what seems to be the usual linux
display ("Mounting local file system", etc), ending with  a GNOME
Desktop Manager login prompt.

   The suspicious behavior starts after I enter username and password.
It shows "Welcome to Gnome 1.4," and then seems to be creating one
xterm display  after another, with flickering screens.  There are
error messages.  They disappear before I can read them, but some seem
to be complaining about too many files open at once.  pwd
and cd work, but ls gives the message:

error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: Error 23

   Trying the shutdown command gives a similar message for libc.so.6.

   My guess is my system is getting congested my an attempt to run too
many processes at once.

   The problem seems to be gnome-specific.   I am only able to kill
the graphic interface by typing control-alt-backspace repeatedly, but
the character-based interface I get at that point seems to work normally.
Typing startx from there gives a kde interface that also seems to be
working.

If you reply, please don't copy this message or use attachments.
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~c-blair
gpg key fingerprint = D10E EB38 46BF CC65 1DB3  0640 2ABA 25B8 38ED D89E
(complete public key on web site)