Re: Re: .bash_profile problems under gnome

Incoming from Adam Siepel:
> > ~/.xsession.  Others do the same and report ~/.xsession is ignored in
> > favour of ~/.xinitrc.
> >
> > With that in mind, change the file in question.  The first line should
> > be:
> >
> >   #!/bin/bash --login
> >
> > which will make it a login shell, and your bash startup files will be
>
> Hmmm.  Tried that, didn't work with either xsession or xinitrc.  I spent some
> time wading through the startup scripts and it looked like I am supposed to
> be using .xsession.  There's also an .xsession-errors file in my home
> directory that seems to be freshly updated on each login.  Here are the
> contents:
>
> /etc/gdm/PreSession//Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
> /etc/gdm/PreSession//Default: running: sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l :0 acs
> /etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/login.defs for option UMASK
> /etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: /etc/login.defs: "UMASK" is "022"
> /etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/login.defs for option ULIMIT
> /etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/login.defs for option MAIL_DIR
> /etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: /etc/login.defs: "MAIL_DIR" is "/var/mail"
> /etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: using /etc/X11/Xsession.options for options
> SESSION_MANAGER=local/newton:/tmp/.ICE-unix/17355
>
> any other ideas?

dpkg -r gdm
nohup startx & exit
apt-get update
apt-get install fluxbox

  :-)

I grew fed up first with kde and then gnome because I found I had
absolutely no control over what they did.  Now, I run fluxbox.  If I
want it to work differently, I edit a text file.  This is the way it
should be, IMHO.

- -