help with python bug

Dear People,

Can anyone help me with a seemingly Debian-specific Python bug, Debian
bug no. 252517 (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=252517 )

Firstly, can anyone reproduce the problem on Sarge or unstable?
Secondly, can anyone suggest a solution or workaround? I have tried
the same code on a Redhat machine, and I see no problem. So, this
makes me think one of the Debian patches must be causing it. I tried
recompiling Python 2.3 with debugging support and then got no end of
errors.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Please CC me. Thanks
in advance.

                                                              Faheem.