problems in stalling 2.6.5 kernel

In process of installing a 2.6.5 kernel on one of the computers in the
house I have run into a number of problems:

Debian stock kernel-image-2.6.5-i386 fails to boot. The boot process
hangs on mounting the root filesystem. The last part of the boot post
is:

hdb: max request size: 128KiB
hdb: 40020624 sectors (20490 MB) w/2048KiB Cache,CHS=39703/16/63
  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0: p1 p2 p3 p4 < p5 p6 p7 >
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode

The boot process hangs at this point. To me this looks like an initrd
problem since I also tried to install kernel-image-2.4.25-1-k6,
kernel-image-2.4.26-1-k6 and kernel-image-2.6.6-1-386. With each of
these kernels the boot process hangs at the same point as the 2.6.5
kernel. The previous kernel running on the PC is the debian stock
kernel-image-2.4.19-k6; this image continues to boot with no problem.

So I have downloaded kernel-source-2.6.5-4; compiled a kernel image
package with ide and root filesystem (ext3) support and without initrd. The
2.6.5 kernel now boots. The other problems:

The boot process and hotplug fail to load all modules for the hardware
on the PC. Aliases for the modules are defined in /etc/modutils and in
/etc/modprobe.d. I see boot post messages to indicate the hardware has
been discovered, but modules fail to load. So far I've noticed this for
snd-sb16 (sound card), 8250 (serial port drive), floppy, scsi_mod and
aic7xxx. The modules fail to load with or without devfs mounted on /dev.
(Yes, I know devfs is depricated.) As a work around I've discretely listed
these modules in /etc/modules.

What is the correct method to load ide_cd? I've booted with and without
appending "hdd=cdrom" and in either case need to manually load the
module. So this looks to be another one that needs to be listed in
/etc/modules.

The PC has a old scsi AHA-2940 board to which is attached a zip drive.
The scsi module aic7xxx fails to load.

sudo modprobe aic7xxx
Password:
FATAL: Error inserting aic7xxx
(/lib/modules/2.6.5-xanadu.1.0/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.ko):
No such device

This last looks to be similar to bug #237477

I've also tried to compile my own version of 2.6.6 from
kernel-source-2.6.6 and get the above and additional module loading
problems.

--
Jerome