Re: Questions about /etc/profile ulimit -Hn and /etc/initscript & /etc/security/limits

tripolar wrote:
> When running java w/ another program I get this error message-
> java.io.IOException: Too many open files

You have opened more files than the system has resources for by
default.  This is usually a bug in your program.  It is often called a
file descriptor leak, similar to a memory leak.  You need to close
files after you are through using them.

> I was told
> 1) change /etc/profile to add ulimit -Hn 65536
> 2)create /etc/initscript as described in man initscript, including
> ulimit -Hn 65536

That would only be a temporary workaround.  If you are leaking file
descriptors then at some point your would run out no matter how many
you configured in your system.  Instead you should inspect your
program and find the bug and fix it.  Even if you increased the value
on your system no one else could run your program because the leak
would trigger problems on their system.

Bob