Re: X server.

Guilherme Rocha_Sul Soluções wrote:

I install debian 3.0 in my PC 3 times, I don't know what make for the vga
adapter load de X server.

My pc start, open LILO MENU, ok, I select Linux, but the default option is
in console mode, I make the first configuration with the kdm mode during
installation, tests bad. In the second configuration I choose the Xdm mode
dunring instalation, but in any cases the KDE or X don’t load.
My vga card is S3 Prosavage
My PC has installed KDE and gnome

It seems to be the general consensus, and I agree, that for a workstation, stable is too old, and you'd do better to upgrade to unstable. This will give you newer versions of X which might work better with your video card. (Then again, if the S3 Prosavage is an older card, you might be better off sticking with Stable.)

Try running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" or "XF86Setup" or "xf86cfg"; (I don't remember which tool(s) were used in 3.0, nor their exact names). Try lowering your video resolution or color depth; try a different driver (such as vesa or vga).

But again, first thing I'd do is upgrade to unstable. It's always made my life easier. (If this is a server, you'd do better to stick with Stable, but then, why are you trying to run X on a server?)

--
Kent