	Building Dependency Tree... Done
	Calculating Upgrade... Done

	# sudo apt-get -u upgrade
	Reading Package Lists... Done
	Building Dependency Tree... Done

	# sudo aptitude -P upgrade
	Reading Package Lists... Done
	Building Dependency Tree
	Reading extended state information... Done
	No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
	0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
	Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
	Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
	Abort.

	# sudo aptitude -P dist-upgrade
	Reading Package Lists... Done
	Building Dependency Tree
	Reading extended state information... Done
	The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
	  communicator-smotif-477 libdvbpsi1 libgd1-noxpm libruby libxslt1 t1lib1
	  communicator communicator-base-477 communicator-smotif-477 freetype2 gwm
	  ldso libasn1-6-heimdal libbz2 libc-client2001 libdns8 libdvbpsi1 libecpg3
	  libelfg0 libepplet0 libevas0 libfltk1 libgc6 libgd1 libgd1-noxpm libgd2
	  libgdk-pixbuf2 libgmp2 libgnutls5 libhdf4g libisc4 libncurses4 libnetpbm9
	  libopencdk4 libopenldap-runtime libopenldap1 libpcap0 libpgsql2 libpng3
	  libproplist0 libqt2 libruby libscrollkeeper0 libservlet2.3-java
	  libsigc++0 libsnmp4.2 libstdc++2.10 libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 libstringlist0
	  libungif3g libwmf0.2-2 libxaw6 libxmltok1 libxslt1 netscape
	  netscape-base-4 netscape-base-477 perl-5.005-base perl-5.005-doc
	  perl-5.005-suid perl-5.6 t1lib1 vflib2 xlib6g xlibmesa-dev xlibmesa3
	  xlibosmesa3 xlibs-dev xmhtml1
	0 packages upgraded, 63 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
	Need to get 8078kB/15.7MB of archives. After unpacking 41.4MB will be used.
	Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
	Abort.

Notice this:

	# dpkg -l '*communicator*'
	pn  communicator   <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-b <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-b <none>         (no description available)
	un  communicator-b <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-n <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-n <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-n <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-s <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-s <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-s <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-s <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-s <none>         (no description available)
	pn  communicator-s <none>         (no description available)

In fact, I do not know what any of those NEW packages to be installed
are about.  Do you?

I know that this system has been upgraded since slink, and -- at one
time -- I did have installed netscape* and communicator*; but, clearly
these are all purged.

What is this about?

How can I correct this, so using aptitude on this box is less dangerous?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds