Re: Changing Default Display Mgr

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:15:40AM -0400, richard lyons wrote:
| On Wednesday 02 June 2004 07:58, J. Preiss wrote:
| > Hi,
| > may there is a harder way? I tried dpkg-reconfigure kwin, the
| > answer is "could not init kde". Isn't it simply change a config
| > file?

What are you trying to do with kwin?  I don't understand the problem.

| For me this worked: create a file ~/.xinitrc containing, in my case
| the one word 'icewm'.  Someone here suggested it. I think I have seen
| variations using 'eval `startkde`' or something of that sort, but I
| forget the actual program name.
|
| That probably doesn't help...

This answer applies to Window managers, not Display managers.
(BTW - I believe it is recommended to use ~/.xsession instead of ~/.xinitrc)

Display Managers include :
    xdm
    gdm
    kdm
    wdm

Window Managers include :
    fvwm
    twm
    mwm
    sawfish
    metacity
    blackbox
    openbox
    fluxbox
    enlightenment
    kahakai
    and many, many more

Don't confuse them.  Display managers manage a display, usually to
start local X servers and show a graphical login dialog box then to
start the user's X session upon successful login.  Window managers are
run to manage window placement and decorations and such for an X
session.

Is kwin a window manager?  If so then this thread about choosing
Display managers won't help you.

Please restate the problem and the goal with more detail.

-D

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."