Need to prevent X from restarting

Thanks to the advice of this group, I can now dual-boot using Lilo.
Thanks again.  Now I need to figure out how to configure the proper
file that controls how Debian boots up.  I like having the automatic
X login screen, but whenever you try to logout or explicitly kill
the process in a console, it just starts up again.  In other words,
I can't back out of X and just work at a bash console.
I don't want it to automatically restart if I logoff or kill X.
Any suggestions?

Do you Yahoo!?