Re: debian on imac - compiling kernels

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 08:48:16 +1000, Mal Beaton wrote:

I copied the old 2.4 config to the source of the 2.6.6 and did make
oldconfig

There have been many changes between 2.4 and 2.6 in how config options are
named, how they depend on eachother, what the defaults are etc. A copied 2.4
config is unlikely to do the right thing with 2.6. Try taking the time to do
a full, proper configuration of 2.6.

HTH,
Ray
thanks
we downloaded the rc2 ? version of linuxppc-2.5-benh  linux-2.6.6

and it still had issues. Re rsynced to a later version a day later and
all our issues disappeared.

Yeh understand the recommendation for full look at 2.6 config

2 of us must have gone through it 50 times

was getting frustrated but ended up being an issue with the released kernel (we think)

cheers